Federal Employer Identification Number Registrations

A "Federal Tax Identification Number" is essentially a social security number for business entities. A federal tax identification number is often referred to as an "Employer Identification Number (EIN)" or a "Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)" or a "Tax Identification Number (TIN)" in some instances. Although sole proprietorships and most partnerships can use a "Social Security Number (SSN)" for business tax reporting purposes, the majority of corporate entity types such as a corporation or limited liability company (LLC) are required to obtain a unique federal tax identification number.

In order to obtain a federal tax identification number, an application must be completed and submitted to the Internal Revenue Services (IRS). As part of the criteria to obtain a federal tax identification number, the applicant must already have a social security number. Federal tax identification numbers are used for a variety of reasons including the reporting of corporate taxes, business identification, opening of company bank accounts, as well as the tracking of employee payroll.

In addition to a federal tax identification registration, some states will also require that you apply for a unique State Tax Identification Number when transacting business within those states.

Registered Agent Solutions, inc. has years of experience in the application process and obtaining tax identification numbers from both the IRS and the various states that require their own tax identification numbers. For more information or to place a request to obtain a tax identification number, please contact a representative in our Client Services Department.